Saturday, May 31

What Worked.... and What Didn't

I love that Stephanie from Teaching in Room 6 decided to share this linky! It is a perfect reflection for the end of the year!

Teaching in Room 6

What Worked

******************************************************************************
Math Rotations
This was my first full year of math rotation implementation and it went so smoothly! We went over behavior expectations at the beginning of the year and practiced each rotation together. This really helped classroom management. My students soared in math this year and it was definitely their favorite part of every day!





Remind101
I used the service, Remind101 to keep in contact with my parents this year. It was soooo easy and the communication was so clear and constant! I had a teacher's kiddo in my classroom this year and she is planning on using it with her parents next year because she loved it so much as a parent! I just put all the info on the screen during Meet the Teacher at the beginning of the year and wala.... easy communication all year!




Teacher Toolkit
I do not have a teacher desk in my room. It takes up so much precious space. I have a table for my computer and then I use my horseshoe table when I really need to spread out. With the absence of a desk I did not have a spot for my everyday supplies. Enter the teacher toolbox. I am sure you have seen it all over Pinterest, but if you haven't bought into it here is your push.... do it! I had everything at my fingertips and I did not have to waste space with a big ol' desk! Oh and did I mention that it is cute? Love cute!

What Didn't

******************************************************************************
Writer's Workshop
We started the year so strong with Writer's Workshop. We were integrating our grammar, free writing, working through the process... it was great! Then something happened, and writing got pushed to the back burner. I have do idea how, it was not a conscious decision on my part, but it did happen and next year I will not let it happen again. I have bought some resources and have big plans to be even more prepared and ready.
Parent Communication Blunder - Website
So I went all techie this year and started a class website for the first time... gasp! Since I had this beautiful website, I didn't need to send home a weekly newsletter right? Wrong! I so dropped the ball in keeping up with the website and I could really tell a difference in parent communication and involvement when my poor parents weren't getting that weekly update. So next year I am even more determined with my classroom website... it will happen... but I am also going to do the weekly newsletter to send home. I thought I could also put it on my website. 
I love reflecting because I know I can improve every year. Next year I will be better than this year!
Teach On!
Rachel

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for pointing out that it is important for us to reflect at the end of our year. Recognizing what works, what doesn't, and what needs tweaking is critical for our growth as teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep hearing good things about the "Remind 101" app. I am definitely going to have to check it out for next year! Thanks for reflecting on your year and linking up :)

    Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

    ReplyDelete
  3. The same thing happened to me in writing this year! What resources did you get? I want it to be better next year too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love reflecting at the end of each year. I still write a parent newsletter each week and print out a couple copies for parents without internet access. I post it to my class website in the announcement section. I'm glad to have found you through this link up.
    Artistry of Education

    ReplyDelete